Purpose & Function:
The purpose and function of the St. Joseph School Board is as follows:
The School Board is by its nature consultative to the Pastor. The function of the School Board shall be a means for the exercise of shared responsibility for the mission of Catholic education, within the context of the parish mission, at St. Joseph School, and to provide leadership, assistance, and support for the school in the fulfillment of its mission as a center of quality Catholic education.
The main responsibilities of the Board include the following:
- Mission Statement: adoption of the School’s mission statement, and periodic review of its operational validity.
- Policy: the development, and adoption and review of policy for the school, as needed, within the framework of archdiocesan policy.
- Planning: the development and regular updating of a five year plan for the school; annual goal setting for the School and for the Board. The long-range plan should follow the guidelines of the Office of Catholic Schools.
- Development/Advancement: the formulation and implementation of a Development program for the school following archdiocesan guidelines, and in cooperation with the Office of Catholic Schools.
- Budget: adopting and monitoring the School’s operational budget, according to the format specified by the Office of Catholic Schools; reviewing periodic reports from the Principal on the implementation of the budget.
- Appointment of the Principal: when a vacancy occurs, recommending to the Pastor from the diocesan-approved candidates the appointment of the Principal.
- Evaluation: systematically evaluating the School’s mission statement, goals, and school policies; the Principal; the Board itself.
MEMBERSHIP: The School Board shall consist of no fewer than nine and no more than fifteen members. Consideration is given to diversity of membership (current parents, alumni, parishioners).
MEETINGS: School Board meetings are held on a monthly basis. Meeting times and locations are noted on the monthly School Calendar. Members of the school community may attend school board meetings. To participate in the school board meetings, the request (indicating the proposed agenda item) must be provided to and approved by the Principal and/or School Board Chairperson in advance of the meeting.
The 2018-2019 Meetings will be held: